This QuickBooks error 404 shows up when the application or the file that is damaged is related to the details of the error. There are many causes behind this error but one of the leading reason is that of corrupted or damaged QuickBooks file. There are other reasons included like, ‘corruption in windows registry’, ‘infection caused by virus and malware’, ‘deletion of QuickBooks files by a different program’. This error can happen anytime when you are installing a program or during windows start up or shut down etc. So you need to be vigilant while tracking this error as it would prove to be very helpful while handling the problem. So if you want to know how you can troubleshoot this error, you can contact QuickBooks error phone number or you can give this blog a read.
There are a lot of methods you can employ while handling this particular error code. You need to be able to figure out each and every possibility to be able to handle the error more effectively.
Method 1: you need to repair registry entries associated with error 404.
- To begin, click the start button and on the search box type in ‘command’ (do not press enter yet), now hold CTRL and SHIFT and press ‘enter’ to open the permission box and click ‘yes’.
- On the box that appears on the screen, type in ‘regedit’ and hit enter. When the Registry editor appears, select the error 404- related key.
- Now from the ‘file’ menu click on ‘export’ and from the ‘save in’ list, select the folder where you want to save the backup key.
- After that, on the ‘filename’ box, type the backup file and in the ‘Export range’ box make sure that the ‘selected branch’ is selected.
- Finally, click ‘save’ to save the file with a ‘.reg’ file extension.
Method 2: uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks program associated with error 404.
- Navigate the mouse to the bottom left of the computer screen and on the start menu image, right-click it to bring up the start context menu.
- After that you need to go to ‘programs and features’ then search for the ‘QuickBooks error 404-associated program’ which will be under the ‘name’ column.
- Now select the QuickBooks associated entry and click on the ‘uninstall/change’ button.
- Lastly, follow the steps on the screen to finish the uninstallation of the error 404 associated program.
May also read:- Common QuickBooks performance issues in Windows 10
Method 3: run the windows system file checker.
This tool is handy as it scans and restores corruption in windows system files. To run this tool, you must:
- Firstly click the start menu and type ‘command’ I the search box and before you hit ‘enter’, press the CTRL and SHIFT key then press ‘enter’.
- The permission box will appear. You have to click ‘yes’ to continue and on the black box that appears type in ‘sfc/scannow’ and hit ‘enter’.
- The scan will now initiate and wait for a while then proceed with the instructions on the screen.
These are the three methods you can implement to get rid of the error 404 problems in QuickBooks. If you run into any additional errors or difficulty you can contact QuickBooks desktop helpline number.